Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ode to Wax Heaven

All 3 of you that have read my blog know that I'm just returning to card collecting and I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. Presently I'm trying to figure out exactly what a refractor is. And, is this different from an xfractor? I'm sure everyone knows but me.

Anyway, I'm stoked because I may have just found a hobby shop that's only about 5 minutes away from me and been right under my nose the whole time. The next closest one is about 1/2 hour away and a pain in the ass to get to. I hope this one isn't closed down like all of the others I have driven by. I guess ebay has put them all out of business.

Well, I'm a big fan of some of the blogs that I've run across and even been inspired to write my own...even as amateurish and ridiculous as it may be. It's fun. I've been leary to put in obscure movie quotes and pop culture references because I'm not sure how many people will get them. Now I think...who gives a shit? Who the fuck do I think is reading this stupid thing anyway?

Where was I...lost my train of thought there. Oh yeah.

Well, I have tomorrow off and I have big plans. I've decided to put together a set of 2008 Topps Chrome. Cool cards and a reasonable price. I'm planning on tracking down a box and "breaking"it. (See, I'm starting to get hip to the lingo). But, since I have tomorrow off I decided to tie one on tonight. So I'm 6 beers into a case of Great Lakes Imperial Dortmunder. That might not sound like a lot to you crazy college kids but the stuff is 7.5%. Not exactly a lightweight. For the uninitiated, Great Lakes Brewing Company might be the best brewer in the US. If you are skeptical do yourself a favor and get some of their Christmas Ale off ebay in december. The stuff gets bought up so fast that people hoard it and put it on ebay. I'm crappin' you negative. It's that good.

I seriously have a point here...I think. I'm drunk, so who knows.

Oh yeah, I was thinking about cards and the card blogs. There are a lot of good ones and a few great ones. Wax Heaven...in my opinion...is the cat's ass. So here I am, drunk on a tuesday night reading through the Wax Heaven archives. Some really great stuff. And somewhere during Mario's fight with Madison Bumgarner's dad I thought to myself "Man, Mario's on fuckin' fire!" Well, that led my somewhat chemically altered head in a completely unpredictable direction that resulted in this post and this:

My Ode To Wax Heaven

Anyone in their early 30's like me knows how kick ass that was. Was there a better time to be a 12 year old kid than the mid to late 80's?

Some fun facts: I'm pretty sure that Peter Criss was NOT on this album (animalize), but it was Eric Carr. And, I think He's dead.

Pause the video at 1.28. That thing is ridiculous.

Kiss actually formed a worldwide utopia with their worst song: "God gave rock and roll to you" Still unsure as to how this happened. I also don't know when it ended but I think Jose Mesa is somehow to blame.

I don't give a fuck who you are or what music you like...Gene Simmons' base is awesome.

Ace Frehley's solo ablum "Frehley's Comet" which featured the seminal hit "Rock Soldiers" was released in 1987 and feature the able drumming of Anton Fig. As you all know, Anton Fig currently presides over the skins for Paul Schaffer and the CBS orchestra.

Anyway, the point of this blog is that 6 Great Lakes Imperial Dortmunders took me from Topps Chrome to Wax Heaven to Anton Fig. I suppose that means I really didn't have a point after all. It was all sort of spur of the moment and stream of consciousness anyway. I just felt like paying my respects to Mario (and Tatiana who is very sexy).

Well that's all for now. I can't wait 'till tomorrow morning to be suprised all over again. I'll be satisfied if this is even somewhat cohearent.

No comments: