Monday, November 2, 2009

See What Happens Lonnie?

I go on these eBay binges. I'll just look around for stuff and then, all of a sudden, I'm bidding on 8 things. And I HAVE to have them.

"OH MY GOD! I have to have that! There are only 8 available right now, the first time I've ever looked for this card! If I don't get one of these I may never get another opportunity!"

Anyone else get that?

Well, back in September, I got a Lonnie Chisenhall bug up my butt. I decided that Lonnie was going to be the next great Indian and I better get some of his cards now. There were only about 85 autos available so I had to start bidding right away.

I wanted the Bowman Prospects Chrome Refractor. And I figured I better pick up the base version as well. The same guy had 2 different refractors going at the same time so I bid on both. No sense messing around. This card is going to be positively Pujolsian. Everyone knows that. There is no chance that I will get both of them. There are probably 500 prospectors out there right now that just realized the same thing that I did: Lonnie Chisenhall may be the greatest 3rd Baseman ever to play the game.

Well, I won both, for probably twice as much as I would have spent if I had just been patient and look around for a while. I also got a base version to boot.

So I'm left with 3 Chisenhall autos that look exactly the same and I paid entirely too much for.

SCORE!

Here they are.

Chrome Base

Chrome Refractor 056/500

Chrome Refractor 360/500

Don't get me wrong, I love Chisenhall. I do think he will be a good player. I'm glad I have the cards. I just know that I could have been smarter about it.

I'm not the only one who does this stuff, am I?

5 comments:

Carl Crawford Cards said...

Sadly, and much to my wife's consternation, no, you are not the only one who does that sort of thing.

What happens to me is I see a card I want, then survey other cards available from the seller. "Hmmmm...I'm not a fan of X, but if could score that card and combine shipping with the one I really want I'd totally do it." Long story short, I miss out on the original card but score the one I could live without. Classic.

beardy said...

Um, no you are not the only one who does this. I had to enter self imposed eBay rehab. It's a pretty simple program really, and not terribly painful.

It goes a little something like this...

See a card you want, check your checking acct. balance online, see that you have no money, and don't bid on said card.

It only hurts for about an hour, or until you see another card you "can't live without".

beardy said...

I forgot step 3, after checking your acct. balance, think about how soon you will have to pay your bills.

dayf said...

I haven't even looked at eBay in about 6 months. Otherwise I would be doing all those things you guys have said. ALL OF THEM. Plus a few other things I haven't even thought up yet.

Twitch said...

I did that with two hot packs of 2006 Upper Deck Legends football. No way should I have been able to win them both since they were still slightly less than they had been going for, but the Christian Okoye and Everson Walls autographs held within said packs are all mine... *sigh*

Word Verification: ratesse