Thursday, April 23, 2009

2009 Chrome Legends

Here is a cool little set of cards for you. A few months ago Dayf went over all of the different ways that you can get Topps cards and what to expect in each kind of pack. He went over Hobby, retail, rack packs, blasters,...everything. He also talked about these $10 "cereal boxes". I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Cereal boxes are big. Did they put some cards in boxes of cereal or something? What kind of cereal. I was very confused. It didn't make sense to me. If I would have read Dayf's post more closely I probably would have figured it out, but I didn't. I'm a lazy man and to tell you the truth, my ignorance didn't bother me a whole hell of a lot.





Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I'm in Walmart or Target or something and I see all of the different configurations of cards. And there's this little box that is obviously Topps, but I hadn't seen before. "Hey, that looks like a little cereal box" me thinks.

"HEY! THAT"S WHAT DAYF WAS TALKING ABOUT!" It's all coming together.

Well $10 seemed a little steep for 55 cards plus some stupid chrome refractor thing. But hey, why not? I love shiny things.

Well, I'm glad I did because I LOVE these Chrome cards. Looking back on it, I don't know why I was skeptical. I just love Chrome in general.




So I've picked up a few more of these cereal boxes, basically for the Turkey Red and the Chrome. These are the 2 I've pulled so far and I have 1 box I've yet to open. Also, apparently there are two different 10 card sets. One for Target and one for Walmart. One is gold, the other silver. I'm not sure which is which. I could look it up, but, what the hell do you want from me? Reliable information? You can get that somewhere else. I've got idiocy to offer here. Take it or leave it.

This brings me to a genius plan that I've hatched. The Beckett book value of all of these cards is astronomical. The least valuable one is George Sisler at $8. The others go up to $40! So I plan on buying all of these $10 cereal boxes in existence, opening them, and selling all of the Chrome cards for a profit. So I take a $2 hit on the Sislers. Big deal. I make $30 above cost every time I pull a Ripken JR!

It's a can't miss, unless BV is off. But how could it be? Anyway, it doesn't matter what the ebay value is. The BV is right because I CHOSE TO BELIEVE! I'm a genius. I'm going to be rich!

I might even save a set of these for myself. I really do like them a lot. There are 20 cards in all. I have 3 of them (unless the unopened one is a double.) If anyone has extra of these and wants to complete their 1989 Topps set I have a lot to offer in trade. Let me know.

UPDATE!!

The veritable tidal wave of comments has prompted me to actual do about 2 minutes of research on this after all. The following are the Beckett values of these 2 sets:

Target set: (these are the gold ones)
Ted Williams is the only one with a price and it is $10
All other players are "N/A"

Walmart set: (silver ones)

1. Ted Williams $25
2. Jackie Robinson $12
3. Babe Ruth $20
4. Honus Wagner $10
5. Lou Gehrig $12
6. Nolan Ryan $25
7. Mickey Mantle $25
8. Thurman Munson $15
9. Cal Ripken Jr. $40
10.George Sisler $ 8

Curiously, the walmart set has a price for every card, but the value of the entire set is "N/A".

High Beckett value was used because that is what I Choose to accept as accurate. And as we all know, if we all want Beckett to be correct hard enough, it will make it true.

As you can surely see, my plan is foolproof.

5 comments:

night owl said...

Wow, Beckett thinks each of those are more than 8 bucks each?

Wax Heaven said...

Which one is listed at $40 dollars???

Motherscratcher said...

I updated the post to give you the values. It is glorious.

beardy said...

Beckett is retarded! I own the Ripken, and refuse to believe it is valued anywhere near $40. I doubt it's even worth $4.

What a bunch of amateurs.

Nachos Grande said...

I sold my Ruth card on eBay for 8 dollars...