Monday, July 20, 2009

Gint-A-Cuffs 13+14: Is That Something Written in Red Ink?



Half way done with the box and things are NOT looking good for the Scratcher. However, things finally start to look up. So much so that I'm doing a 2 pack post to revel in all of the forthcoming glory.

Pack 13:

#52 Aaron Hill
#77 Fransisco Liriano
#114 Hideki Matsui -1


#126 Trevor Crowe +1 - I'm not sure what it means but I didn't know until last year that this was a white guy. I'm not sure why. I never saw a picture of him before I guess. I remember him being our 1st round pick, and I've followed him through his stats when possible. It's just that the picture I developed in my head, for some weird reason, was that of a black guy. I know it doesn't matter at all. I just thought it was kind of strange. If anything I'm a little disappointed only due to the fact that it's one less player with the potential to go all Oscar Gamble/Bake McBride. I still think Granderson could pull that off in fine fasion.


#81 Willie Williams - Negro Leaguer +2


#313 Jeff Francis SP +5 - That was a close one. I thought it said Franceour for a second.


#35 Geovany Soto Mini - A&G Back - Favorite Player 2+5= +5



#NP64 Fransisco Liriano National Pride
## Monopoly Guy Crack The Code

Pack Total: +12
Box Total: 103pts
PBB: 244



Pack 14:

#99 Chris Duncan
#2 Zack Greinke
#153 CC Sabathia -1 - Damn. A Yankee hat. No way out if this one.


#130 Johnny Damon -1 - Oh C'mon.


#AGA-WS Will Simpson/Archie Bunker Red Auto 04/10 +42 - THERE IT IS. How about that? I pulled a red auto! Sure it's some horse guy, but it's a red auto! Sweet. At 1:2,000 or so odds I thought it might be worth more than 42 points but the commish has ruled and he's doing a bang up job so no complaints here. 42 is a lot better than what I've been getting.


#HHB20 Cold Fusion - Worlds Biggest Hoaxes +5


#NP71 Josh Hamilton National Pride - Favorite Player +4



Pack Total: +49
Box Total: 152pts
PBB: 195



Conclusions: I have to admit something here. When I pulled that card I was a little disappointed. Mostly because I'm an idiot. OK, completely because I'm an idiot. I didn't know that the red ink auto was any different than any other auto. Sure, I saw that it was hand numbered to 10 (I love hand numbering), but I figured all of the autos were like that or something. I was disappointed that my auto was the horse guy. I didn't realize the odds to pull it.

I told Beardy about the pull and he was excited for me, but he said what I was thinking. "Too bad is the equestrian". Yeah, it is kind of too bad. I didn't want to say that because of the long odds, but a ballplayer would have been infinately more exciting to me.

Does that make me kind of a douche? I mean moreso than already?

8 comments:

beardy said...

It makes me sound like a douche as well. Maybe you can be the bag to my douche?

A red ink auto is still SWEET dude!

Motherscratcher said...

Oh Jeez, I hadn't thought of that. I didn't mean to make you sound like a douche. Sorry, man.

Greg said...

Look at it this way, you still made about half the price of your box back if you decide to put it up on Ebay. That sure beats a dime-a-dozen one color relic.

Captain Canuck said...

you asked if that makes you a kind of douche.
well my friend, there are several kinds, of which you are many I'm sure.
But no, disappointment at an auto of some guy who rides a horse and is not named John Wayne does not make you another kind of douche.

do what greg said, sell it and buy all of the Indians relics from this set with the pofits.

night owl said...

I'd rather have a ball player's signature, too.

I think that makes me (and you) sound like a rational human being. Not a female cleansing product.

Motherscratcher said...

Captain Canuck how dare you. I would never ever disparage you for being Canadian. Never in a million years have I ever had a smart ass remart about our fair skinned allies to the north.

OK, maybe once or twice. I guess I am many kinds of douche. It's getting harder and harder to argue against.

BASEBALL DAD said...

You guys are really having a good time with this aren't you. I may have to get involved next time. Oh wait... you guys are kidding here,right? I mean, we're not going to start a war with Canada or anything are we? I did my time in Nam but I still have my good conduct medal so I'm ready....

PunkRockPaint said...

D to the ouche... but understandably douchy.

If the horse had signed, that would be a different story.

WAIT!!!

Spray it with luminol and check it under black light for traces of equine blood or semen. I personally would be rooting against either of the bodily fluid outcomes, but to each his own.

You will probably have to remove the card from its protective casing to conduct a proper forensics investigation. If done properly, it shouldn't effect the value much.

If you are interested in the proper methodology feel free to consult my step by step process for removing a relic/auto from its Allen & Ginter housing:
http://thingsdonetocards.blogspot.com/2008/10/thorzul-will-rule-contest-card-birth-of.html