Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Repack Madness

OK, so I did it again. I threw $10 down the drain that takes the form of repacks. I've bought a few of these and have never been too disappointed, but I've never really felt like I got my money's worth exactly either. Hey, they are what they are.

This one looks different though. This one guarantees a memorabilia card to go along with the 3 packs of cards! Seriously! A memorabilia card. We all know how hard those are to come by, so $10 seems to be almost like stealing.



The front shows me that I'm likely to pull something along the lines of a Jeter Game Materials or a Dice K SPX Rookie Sig auto. I'm assuming that the cards picked for the front of this were chosen before Dice K took a giant crap this season. Still, I'd be ecstatic with either one.

The back of the packaging explains how the Fairfield Company came by these wonderful cards...they bought them. Thank you. Thank you very much for the explanation.

So what did I get? First up is the mystery envelope that can only house the awesome memorabilia card. Let's save that for last.



The first pack is 2007 Opening Day. Here are the cards and the BV (just for shits and giggles let's see how far I come out ahead.)





#72 Roy Halladay - $0.40
#76 Rocco Baldelli - $0.40
#124 Mark Teixeira - $0.60
#105 Garret Anderson - $0.40
#74 Frank Thomas - $1.00
#46 Derek Jeter - $15.00 (I'm crappin' you negative)

Total: $17.80











The second Pack: 2006 Fleer Tradition. A set I really like.



#79 Travis Hafner - $0.30
#11 Chad Tracy - $0.30
#89 Felix Hernandez - $0.50
#19 Casey Kotchman - $0.30
#170 Mark Grudzielndgdsiek - $0.30
#128 Bobby Abreu - $0.30
#176 Jeremy Bonderman - $0.30
#119 Jay Gibbons - $0.30
#173 Justin Verlander - $2.00
#162 Matt Holliday Black and White - $5.00

Total: $9.60







Pack #3: 2007 Turkey Red. I think we all know how pumped I was to get this pack.





#127 Ryan Zimmerman - $0.75
#166 Jose Reyes - $0.75
#17 Stephen Drew - $0.50
#75 Tyler Clippard - $0.60
#81 Juan Pierre - $0.30
#180 Miguel Cabrera - $0.50
#38 Tim Hudson - $0.30
#48 Prince Albert Checklist - $1.50

Total: $5.20










And finally, the moment we've all been waiting for:

Drumroll please.








Drumroll.


LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. I GIVE TO YOU THE FAIRFIELD REPACK MEMORABILIA CARD!!!!


(sound of cymbals crashing)

Jeff Kent 2006 Bowman Heritage Pieces of Greatness.

BV = $8.00

Really

Total repack value: $37.60

What a joke man. $37.60. That is fabulous. More ridiculous than I could have ever imagined. I mean, do they really think that someone might pay 15 bucks for ANY Opening Day card. Even if it is Captain No Range? Awesome.

I don't want anyone to think that I'm not happy with the repack. I am. It's what I expected and anyone who would have expected more is a fool. I had a good time opening and posting this. Definitely 10 bucks worth of a good time. But $38 is hilarious.

I highly recommend picking up one of these. Good times.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - that's great. Not a bad way to add relics to your collection, I guess, providing you're not picky about who they're of.

I'm always oh-so-tempted to pick up a repack like this whenever I'm at Target. One of these days I'm gonna do it...

Dinged Corners said...

Reality check! Brilliant to assess the repack using BV.

stusigpi said...

If blasters are nasty bar skanks that you go home with because there is nothing better but at least you know what you're getting, repacks are trannies that look all hot with their promises of $30 in value with a sexy jersey card, and all you find is a few worthless packs and a crappy jersey card

night owl said...

Seriously, that makes me want to buy one of those things. They are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Stores never seem to run out of them. I think they multiply under my porch at night.

Here repack, repack, repack! I've got 10 dollars for you!

Play at the Plate said...

Night Owl, you know you won't get a Dodger...they don't allow that kind of luck with the "repacks". The BV angle did provide some laughs!

PunkRockPaint said...

You should seriously consider repackaging your repack. Slap an "Over $37.50 in value!!!" sticker on it and sell it on ebay!

Do it a few times and you will be rich!

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I don't see these around my neck of the woods... I would never be tempted, though. No. Never. Nope...